News from our Head of Moderating, Christian Ney, regarding Windows 8 and Futuremark benchmarks. The HWBOT moderation rules regarding Windows 8 and Futuremark benchmarks have been updated. Here is the latest version:
- All new Windows 8 Benchmark Results will be blocked, including for on-going competitions
- Existing Windows 8 based benchmark submissions will be blocked if seemingly out of line or world record or top score.
- Existing Windows 8 based benchmark submissions will not be blocked or removed if they don't meet the requirements above
- Existing Windows 8 based benchmark submissions will not be blocked or removed if they were made on an AMD system (New ones will be clocked)
Note: if you recall downclocking when using an Intel based Windows 8 system, please remove that result.
Exceptions to the Windows 8 rule:
- non-overclockable notebooks may be used in combination with Windows 8
- 3DMark and PCMark runs on Windows 8 if an ORB Link is included, and SystemInfo 4.20 (unofficial download) is used.
I have been cooperating with Futuremark, now 3DMark and PCMark runs on Windows 8 can be trusted when they meet the following requirements:
- ORB Link
- Use of SystemInfo 4.20 or newer
How does it work
At the moment it's a "dirty" fix since it requires online check and isn't built into the benchmark for offline check. The positive news is that the fix affects all Futuremark benchmarks at once. Just need to update SystemInfo ("SI"). Make sure to uninstall any previous version of SystemInfo to not create any conflict. Submit the file online via the benchmark or the upload form. The new SI will check and monitor/log three different timers. When submiting online the site engine will check the values and if one timer is off (RTC in this case) the result will not be valid and you will get the following error: "Time measuring inaccurate. Results are invalid."
Here is an example:
- Windows 8 + System Info 4.19 + no downclocking = VALID
- Windows 8 + System Info 4.19 + downclocking = INVALID
- Windows 8 + System Info 4.20 + no downclocking = VALID
- Windows 8 + System Info 4.20 + downclocking = INVALID
Futuremark will also add a warning-type notice like: Invalid, Time measuring cannot be checked, please use latest version of SystemInfo when benchmarking under Windows 8