Important: screenshot verification mandatory for all submissions

• News, development, Articles

Dear Overclocking Community,

This small news post is to inform you that the general HWBOT benchmark verification rules have been updated.

“As of November 1st, it is mandatory to accompany every score submission with a verification screenshot. This screenshot must suffice to the specific verification requirements of each benchmark. One exception: for CPU-Z validations, a screenshot is not necessary”

This rule has been added after an inquiry from various sources. This rule will mainly affect benchmarks such as 3DMark Vantage and PCMark.

Best regards,

The HWBOT Staff.

Dreadlockyx says:

By verification screenshot, you mean a screenshot from ORB or desktop ?

Colombia e-Killer says:

I think he means is not allowed to upload scores of 3DMark benchmarks only by using orb link.

Dreadlockyx said: By verification screenshot, you mean a screenshot from ORB or desktop ?

Desktop.

Screenshots must be according to screenshot verification guidelines. ORB screenshot is not according ...

Argentina Sweet says:

full screen? , full Win. desktop? without cuts?

GENiEBEN says:

finally, hate following ORB links +1

Norway knopflerbruce says:

There are example screenshots available in the rules section:)

Netherlands diezel says:

good one +1

Germany der8auer says:

Yea i also appreciate this step! :) Just provides more information.

United States xxbassplayerxx says:

I like this. Futuremark links barely tell anything and what they do give is wrong most of the time.

says:

More information is better for all concerned. I like to see what people have done and the futuremark urls do not really tell the whole story. Good to see this happening. Rule of thumb with a screenshot is have all the open applications that show your hardware on the desktop and include the details of each test in the benchmark. The trick is not to cover the settings that the benchmark was run mind you. :D

United States Splave.ROM says:

this is great :D change I can get on board with

Sweden ME4ME says:

Great, this rule should've been added long time ago. Now just hope the mini-size picture bug doesnt occure anymore :)

Croatia Quake says:

Please fix that also :D

Germany der8auer says:

Czech Republic Aerou says:

Oh, now I understand the small pictures ...

United States steponz says:

Great add..... welcomed...

Dreadlockyx says:

Massman said: Desktop.

I always thaught that desktop screenshot was already required. :D

United States Chuchnit says:

Bravo hwbot!!! I'm so glad to finally see this rule.

Canada mkultra says:

that's a good decision...thanks hwbot

Australia T_M says:

Is CPU-Tweaker an acceptable substitution for CPU-Z in our screenshot?

No, needs to be CPU-Z.

United Kingdom Bustah says:

Seems like a good and well needed move to me, though I would like to see all pcmark submissions with an orb link, for that benchmark the major sub test scores that can be abused are not visible in a screenshot alone.

Wasn't FM going to drop the support for PCMark05 ORB links?

Greece zoro says:

Dreadlockyx said: I always thaught that desktop screenshot was already required. :D

the same here:)
i am also keeping all my screenshots in my database for a future backup issue!
For me scrrenshots are necessary in order to learn, not for checking the validity
although they can be used for both actions :D

United Kingdom Bustah says:

United States PROBN4LYFE says:

Its about time...how many fugded entries there have been without them.

Good to see some people still like HWBOT :D

Bustah said: @ massman Ah I wasn't aware of that. would it be to much to ask to upload result details along with the screenshot for that benchmark? so that the results can be checked properly? If they show subtest scores that is..

It's one of HWBOT's main policies to always look for ways to make end-users having to pay less to participate. That policy was what, for instance, brought forward the Unigine Heaven benchmark: it's completely free. It's the same policy that makes us very relucatant to force people on providing FM verfication links for all PCMark and 3DMark results. Non-professional accounts have a very limited amount of free slots for results ... if you want to publish more than 5 scores, you need to pay.

Maybe there's another way to do this, though. Is it possible to save a file in another format that the .3dr (or whatever it is for PCMark)? Maybe we can use that one?

United States Splave.ROM says:

Massman said: Good to see some people still like HWBOT :D

dont get too carried away now ;) ROFL jk jk

Croatia Quake says:

der8auer said: It won't be fixed. These pictures are lost due to a server crash. You have to reupload them if possible.

Well, if a screenshot is necessary, then I think reuploading these pictures is also one of the condition?

Puerto Rico chispy says:

@Massman , It would be nice also to force as a rule the posting of the hardware used on the run to be post in the submision , i have seen too many entries with no information whatsoever of motherboard , Ram , etc... used on the run , just a quick and minimal info on the screenshot and thats it, the more info available the better me thinks. I likethis new rule :) screenshoots for every benchmark its the way to go :).

Norway knopflerbruce says:

Motherboard info good to know. RAM info is not that needed, you can usually tell what IC people use (at least the more extreme runs) anyway just by looking at the speed/timings:D

Submitting should be fast and easy, I don't think people want to spend 5 minutes pr submission:)

United States Blaze says:

Massman said: Wasn't FM going to drop the support for PCMark05 ORB links?

With the new site, Futuremark is also officially ending online service support for legacy benchmarks. This means that the new service will not support 3DMark 2001 SE, 3DMark03, 3DMark05, PCMark 2002 or PCMark04. Nothing prevents you from running these benchmarks even after the online support is retired...

United States BeepBeep2 says:

So, for old submissions without screenshots we will be fine, right? I don't believe I have any, but I usually don't keep my screenshots for very long (as I host a bunch on imageshack).

United States steponz says:

So for 3dmark06, would be still need FM and SS? or is only screenshot good for the newer benchmarks?

Norway knopflerbruce says:

Orb link for top 20, otherwise you can choose to include it or not.

As for hosting images on imageshack etc, IMO it's the user's responsibility to make sure the images are safe - except when there's a HWbot screwup:) There's no reason not to use the HWbot service when it's much more reliable than imageshack.

Dreadlockyx says:

Sweden DrSwizz says:

Dreadlockyx said: @massman: Yes the saved file (.3dr) should be a good way to check the results, as we can't edit it (as far I know). Maybe Notepad should...

It should not be very difficult to make it possible to upload the .3dr/.pcr-files along with the submissions and extract the contents.

Alrighty, let's look into that (when RB gets home from holiday :p).

United States Johnksss says:

i got a question...what about files posted before this date (nov.1.2010) i already got a guy on my back about pcmark05 and screen shots.

Norway knopflerbruce says:

This rule is not valid until the beginning of november, so the old rules apply TODAY:)

United States Johnksss says:

sounds good. i got like "10 flag on the plays" saying it doesn't...lol

Russian Federation Antinomy says:

DrSwizz said: The *.3dr and .pcr files are actually .zip archives that contain a few files. One of those is an XML document that contains the result + some other information. Results from 3DMark06 appears to contain a second XML document with system information.
Yep, but you forgot the main thing. Since it's a validation file, the crew will have to figure out the checksum algorithm. Otherwise it's useless.

Russian Federation Antinomy says:

Sweden DrSwizz says:

Antinomy said: On the other hand, if they will success, we'll be able to make a full subtest list for PCMark. It doesn't fit on the screenshot, you know.

Screenshot + the raw benchmark data is way better than only a screenshot. :-)

The benchmark results (and possibly some other data) can be extracted from the XML-file and shown along with the submissions. Moderators can get access to all the data from the .3dr/.pcr-files which might make it easier for them to detect cheating.

Russian Federation Antinomy says:

Well, yes, I agree to this. Still hoping they'll gain access to the checksum :)

Puerto Rico chispy says:

@massman
One more time (maybe ill get lucky and he will answer my question ;)this time) , Can you please make it mandatory to give at least Motherboard information in the submission tab if not on the screenshoot of the submision, i have come across some out of the ordinary and not so credible scores compared to mines and others just looking at the data , but seeems some of this scores are impossible on some boards , Example (Rampage extreme x48 DDR3 Based Mobo) that board compared to a P45 Board DDR2 or DDR3 based mobo will own and pawn most of 2d Rankings if you know what you are doing on that board , but how do we know if the guy making the submission used indeed a REx48 or a P45 Board ? The more information available the less cheating will occur , please give my advise and observations a good thought ;). Thank you Massman and Good Day.

Kind Regards: Angelo.

United States Hondacity says:

this is ridiculose! i love it :D

chispy said: @massman

Kind Regards: Angelo.

I wouldn't mind it since I'm doing it anyways.

I'll do the right thing this time and make a voting poll ... :D

Puerto Rico chispy says:

Massman said: I wouldn't mind it since I'm doing it anyways.

I'll do the right thing this time and make a voting poll ... :D

Thank you :) , i really appreciate your input on this matter Massman.

Kind Regards: angelo