About once every month, we update the opening post of the "Haswell LGA1150 Z87 OC Tools, BIOS, facts, stats and list of mainboards"-thread. In that thread we don't only keep track of the Z87 BIOS releases, but also list a couple of interesting statistics about Haswell overclocking. The statistics are taken directly from the HWBOT database, and include the most conservative estimate of Haswell usage. In this case, conservative means only including the results that have 100% correct matching. It's a technical thing.
In any case, the numbers are still pretty interesting. For example, we find that Sskmercer from Australia is by far the most addicted Haswell user. He submitted 285 results at the moment of writing. That is almost 2% of all Haswell results. He is responsible of over 50% of the most active Haswell overclocking team Overclockers Australia (OCAU). When we look at the favorite choice of cooling, we see that exactly 45% of the Haswell overclocking is done with water cooling. Only one fifth is liquid nitrogen. Of course the most used Haswell SKU is the Core i7 4770K.
On the motherboard side of the Haswell table, we notice that the GIGABYTE Z87X-OC motherboard is the most prefered choice. Not only in terms of raw result output ("How many results?"), but also in terms of different users ("How many distinct users?") and LN2 users. In fact, if we have a closer look at the usage data, we can see that the Z87X-OC is used by 13.19% of the overclockers. That group is responsible for 11.29% of the Haswell overclocking results. Impressive!
Here is the full list of statistics as posted in the forum thread:
- 15129 overclocking results
- 1078 overclockers
- 89 mainboards
- 91 mainboards used
- 10 manufacturers
- Top-5 most popular brands: Asus, GIGABYTE, MSI, ASRock, Intel
- Top-5 mainboard by submissions: GIGABYTE Z87X-OC, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, Asus Maximus VI Hero, MSI Z87 MPower Max, Asus Sabertooth Z87
- Top-5 mainboard by users: GIGABYTE Z87X-OC, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, Asus Maximus VI Hero, MSI Z87 MPower Max, Asus Maximus VI Gene
- Top-5 mainboard by LN2 users: GIGABYTE Z87X-OC, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, ASRock Z87 OC Formula, ASRock Z87M OC Formula, MSI Z87 MPower Max
- Top-5 most popular cpus: Core i7 4770K, Core i5 4670K, Core i7 4770, Core i5 4570, Core i3 4340
- Top-5 most used CPU cooling: Water Cooling (45,00%), Liquid Nitrogen (20,21%), Air Cooling (17,25%), Single Stage (6,59%), Dry Ice (3,34%)
- Most results with Z87 Haswell (user): Sskmercer (285 results)
- Most results with Z87 Haswell (team): Overclockers Australia (OCAU) (513 results)
- Most results with Z87 Haswell (country): United States (1613 results)
- Most different CPUs used (user): Leeghoofd (5 cpus)
- Most different CPUs used (team): PC Games Hardware (7 cpus)
- Most different CPUs used (country): United States (10 cpus)
- Most different mainboards used (user): Froxic (11 mainboards)
- Most different mainboards used (team): Overclock.net (20 mainboards)
- Most different mainboards used (country): United States (46 mainboards)
Link to forum thread: click.