Socket Pin Burnout Returns to Haunt LGA1155?

So far I haven't see any issues on my boards, though. Before jumping to conclusions, I sure am going to wait for other people to come forward with a socket burn incident.

Last year, credible reports of a design defect with LGA1156 sockets made by a certain component manufacturer in particular, made headlines. Reviewers found that extreme overclocking using increase voltages, in test cases, caused certain pins of the socket to burn out, damaging both the board and processor. The defect was found to be caused by shorting between the pins and the socket causing tiny electrical arcs. Motherboard reviewer from TechReaction.net discovered that his Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4 and GA-P67A-UD7 samples showed signs of socket burn. The publication is yet to receive a reply from the board manufacturer.

LGA1155 and LGA1156 are very similar in physical pin layout, chip package, and retention clips, although the pin-maps are significantly different. TechReaction comments that while only "extreme conditions" cause such pin burnouts, 24/7-stable overclocked settings could, over a period of time, create similar conditions. Only time, and extensive testing will reveal if burnouts are a cause for concern to enthusiasts.


16

United States G H Z says:

Nice catch Miah, lol @ all the people calling it fake/impossible.

United Kingdom El Gappo says:

Maybe you should stop benching on air so much :p ________ JUICEPOP22

United States xxbassplayerxx says:

According to Mia's own article, only the UD4 had the burns. http://www.techreaction.net/2011/01/14/blog-socket-burn-is-back-with-sandy-bridge/ No idea where people got that it was on both boards...

United States miahallen says:

Just posted a few updates to answer a lot of the questions/myths floating around ;)

I'm just bummed this has gotten a ton more attention than my killer SB comparison article that I spend way too many hours on....how pathetic :p

Belgium Massman says:

I just wonder why you even posted it before you got Gigabyte's reply. It's not like the board was fine at first and had a socket burn afterwards, you just got the bard like that. When I posted that socket burn over at XS, I had experienced socket burn.

United States xxbassplayerxx says:

This is how I read it: "Hey guys, I received a board with a burned socket; I hope this isn't 1156 all over again! Check your boards to make sure they're okay as I am currently investigating the cause of the defect with Gigabyte." This is how too many people read it: "NOO!! Both of my boards are pieces of crap because Gigabyte is junk! Everyone boycott them and I secretly did this myself but I'm throwing all of my reputation out the window to get a new board from Gigabte that I'd likely get anyway!!" People are overreacting and all of the negative press across the web still isn't helping. And of course whoever wrote the article at TPU failed to read Mia's article and started the rumor that both boards were burned... that didn't help either.

United States G H Z says:

Doesn't really matter who had the board when it happened, the damaged pins are still present. When GBT tests in house they do not apply OC settings so it was most likely the result of a defective socket. The net result is still the same for the end user.

United States miahallen says:

xxbassplayerxx said: This is how I read it: "Hey guys, I received a board with a burned socket; I hope this isn't 1156 all over again! Check your boards to make sure they're okay as I am currently investigating the cause of the defect with Gigabyte."

This is how too many people read it: "NOO!! Both of my boards are pieces of crap because Gigabyte is junk! Everyone boycott them and I secretly did this myself but I'm throwing all of my reputation out the window to get a new board from Gigabte that I'd likely get anyway!!"

People are overreacting and all of the negative press across the web still isn't helping. And of course whoever wrote the article at TPU failed to read Mia's article and started the rumor that both boards were burned... that didn't help either.


^^^ +1

Belgium Massman says:

Maxi said: Doesn't really matter who had the board when it happened, the damaged pins are still present. When GBT tests in house they do not apply OC settings so it was most likely the result of a defective socket. The net result is still the same for the end user.


'Most likely' means you're just guessing about what happened. The LGA1156 problems were factual evidence of end-user experience.

I don't really buy into the whole 'it was just to inform' idea. We all know that 99% of the people who stumble on this will react differently from how tech people respond to this. Especially by putting this against the background of the LGA1156 incident an atmosphere of drama is created.

This reaction was to be expected. I feel like this blog-post should not have been thrown online before finding out why the socket burn occured.

Romania Vladutz20 says:

I think that the first revision of foxconn socket has problem (like always... see maximus 3 problems) ... Lotes is more safer I think.

Belgium Massman says:

It's not safer. There's not a single piece of evidence that allows you to make that conclusion ;). So far, not a single person has reported first-hand experience of LGA1155 socket burn.

United States G H Z says:

Massman said: 'Most likely' means you're just guessing about what happened. The LGA1156 problems were factual evidence of end-user experience.

I don't really buy into the whole 'it was just to inform' idea. We all know that 99% of the people who stumble on this will react differently from how tech people respond to this. Especially by putting this against the background of the LGA1156 incident an atmosphere of drama is created.

This reaction was to be expected. I feel like this blog-post should not have been thrown online before finding out why the socket burn occured.


Call it what you want, guessing, being an idiot, whatever you like.
Anyone can see the situation is this:

-The board has a damaged socket
-The damage looks similar to the problem 1156 socket

I didn't draw any conclusions, it's one board, I get it. But regardless of how it happened, it's something to be aware of. I don't know why you are afraid of that ;) If you bought a Toyota with problems last year and your family got in an accident because of it, maybe that guy who said let's wait on this info wouldn't be on your friends list. There's nothing wrong with putting this out there, if it ends up being a single incident, great.

Belgium Massman says:

My family would have first-hand experience.

Canada kirbster says:

I have inspected both my UD4 and UD7 and found no issues whatsoever. They both look perfect.

United States xxbassplayerxx says:

kirbster said: I have inspected both my UD4 and UD7 and found no issues whatsoever. They both look perfect.


That's good news! It's looking like this is just an isolated incident... Probably a small manufacturing defect.

United States miahallen says:

Interesting stuff here....can someone who understands German elaborate for the rest of us?
http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f248/rueckrufaktion-zum-maximus-iv-extreme-779517.html

nvm...I found more details here....seems to be un-related ;)
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=265439

Please log in or register to comment.