Turrican wins HWBOT Jan '10 OC Challenge - Contest big success!

• News, Contests, OC records

turrican.jpgTurrican, Austrian top-overclocker, has won the first edition of the HWBOT OC Challenge. In a competition which was long dominated by Romanian overclocker ZM, the last 24h proved to be (once again) the most important part of the competition. Showing of excellent overclocking capabilities of his Gainward Ti4600 Golden Sample, Turrican went up to an astonishing 424/417MHz, resulting in a score of 3330 marks. He will be receiving his GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H shortly!

gradus.jpgThat was, however, not the highest core clock frequency reached in this competition. Gradus, our current Hardware King, used LN2 to increase the clock frequency of his Ti4200-8x to a phenomenal 440MHz! Next to Gradus, several other overclockers also used LN2 to push the GeForce 4 series to the absolute maximum, resulting in a series of record-breaking benchmark sessions:

World record breakers

gold-trophy2.gif- Alibabar (GeForce4 Ti 4200 64 @ 370/340MHz – 2565 marks)
- D’n'B (GeForce4 Ti 4800 @ 390/372MHz – 3120 marks)
- Egm_xt (GeForce4 MX integrated GPU @ 240/370MHz – 281 marks)
- Egm_xt (GeForce4 Ti 4800 SE @ 357/357,5MHz – 2941 marks)
- Gradus (GeForce4 Ti 4200-8x @ 440/387,5MHz – 3292 marks)
- Turrican (GeForce4 Ti 4600 @ 424/417MHz – 3330 marks)
- ZFeSS (GeForce4 Ti 4200 128 @ 367/384MHz – 3006 marks)

Next to that, there’s the overall GeForce4 3DMark03 world record. During the competition (10:14 AM Jan 11th), we already reported about Matti OC’s record breaking score of 2717 points, breaking a world record that had been up since 1,5Y. Looking back at the results, we see that no less than 8(!) overclockers managed to break that record … amazing!

As far as HWBOT is concerned, we consider this competition a big success. Not only was the competition attractive enough to motivate people to test these old graphics cards, several overclocking records have been broken and saw a lot of activity in the forums. We’re pleased to see that this there are still people out there who enjoy the challenge of old hardware!

For the details of the competition, you can always have a look at the official competition page where you will find the official ranking, lots of scores and even more extreme GF4 competition rigs.

Addendum: The 97.44 Driver

A few hours before the deadline, it became apparent that the ForceWare 97.44 driver was the one giving the best results. Although this driver doesn’t support the GeForce 4 series natively, with a simple .INF modification it’s no problem to use these in combination with any graphics card. The reason why this driver delivers a bit more performance is quite simple: it seems that parts of the 3DMark03 code aren’t rendered correctly, making parts of the scenes not visible. Although it’s not entirely ‘neat’ to use this driver, neither the competition rules nor the HWBOT general rules exclude the usage of this driver. If anything, this driver is perfectly within HWBOT guidelines. In the future, we may switch to a fixed driver for a 3D competition, although many hardware fanatics, including myself, are of the opinion that finding the right drivers is half the fun.

To show you the effect of the driver, we have attached a couple of screenshots of the affected 3DMark03 scenes. Note: only GT2 and GT3 are affected, GT1 is not.

3dmark03-2010-02-01-00-18-13-78.JPG 3dmark03-2010-02-01-00-19-10-79.JPG 3dmark03-2010-02-01-00-36-01-62.JPG 3dmark03-2010-02-01-00-36-44-84.JPG 3dmark03-2010-02-01-00-36-48-18.JPG
(Clickable)

Excellent clocks, excellent competitors ... congratulations to all!!

Romania ZM says:

How about:

HWBot General Rules and Guidelines
3. Tweaks and cheats
What do we consider as severe cheating (instant ban):
- Any software or driver causing a benchmark program not (properly) render the textures

....................

This is wrong guys and you know it, I played fair.

Romania ZM says:

Massman said: Rules also state that you can use all official Nvidia drivers ... and the 97.44 is in fact an official driver. Two rules are in conflict ... that sucks. I don't think it really affected the winner in the end. Either with this driver or with another, Turrican did have the highest clocks.

So, it was a Geforce4 clock competition?

You are for real? parts of the 3DMark03 code aren’t rendered correctly, making parts of the scenes not visible and you sayin that hwbot allows this becouse one of your hwbot moderator wins?

Official or not this driver is a lame cheat method to bench. Turrican why do you use this bs? You are not a noob, my friends have mocked me yesterday when I told them that you have not ever use something like this to bench.

Contest big success, huh?

zm said: So, it was a Geforce4 clock competition?

Turrican surpasses your clocks in every single way?

Romania ZM says:

zm said: you sayin that hwbot allows this because one of your hwbot moderator wins?

Quote me, please?

Belgium richba5tard says:

zm said: Yes it does. And he chose to use this cheat driver instead of using that impressive clocks.

The driver is bugged, but not a cheat. Choose your words carefully.

Romania ZM says:

Not my words richba5tard, your HWBot General Rules and Guidelines words. Remember? Severe cheating.

3. Tweaks and cheats
What do we consider as severe cheating (instant ban):

How about a rematch. Fair one, not with bugged premodified inf driver one. I doing this for the sake of corect overclocking here, even if i probably lose. No prizes, no points, just a overclocking for fun contest, as it should be all.

Poland jurek says:

hmm... i was not involved in this competition so i can say it as a person whose kinda objective... where there are rules there is always possibility that at some point they will contradict themselves... to bad this was spoted long after these rules were created... my opinion is to scratch all scores that were done with help of that lame driver

Romania ZM says:

Turrican, I understand that will not make any rematch because you recognize that you were wrong and you're happy with your performance in this competition but this it will always remain on your CV and in other hardware kings, masters or wathever (except alibabar) as "Competition won by a wireframe hacked / bugged incapable to render textures pre-modified inf lame driver."
It's not entirely neat, but who cares? Kings won.

You ever imagine hipro5 using something like this to win a competition and then hiding after an Addendum?
Sorry to give you example hipro5, but you're the most respected overclocker in my country, if you cheat in any competition we all start to beekeeping ...

Massman said: It is not entirely neat but I do not think it really affected the winner in the end. Either with this driver or with another,Turrican did have the highest clocks..

If the official drivers are used and have highest clocks any other rules are overruled by this and the benchmarks are obsolete?
Massman, please look at those 97.44 screenshots with flying machine gun in elevator, lonely jetpacks, wig and shiny sword which cuts invisible orcs and then tell me again the "not entirely neat" thing.

zm said: How can a rule replace another? Why then not use the photoshoped screenshots next time?

1) Rules can be replaced when found inadequate in a certain situation. Most of these rules are written in 2007, 3 years ago ... I reckon it's safe to say that some rules have flaws.

2) Photoshop is, as you also know, a completely different topic ... not at all related to this topic.

Austria Turrican says:

@zm

FYI i have also a run with a another driver, the results has been sent to massman a few days ago.
3037 points to be exact with 91.31 driver. i was done before the bugs with 97.44 came up and it's not like i came up with this driver...
i was one of the first who reported it's a bit bugged

Romania ZM says:

Not upset to you Turrican, but me, I hoped when I put my score that I will catch top 5, I knew I will not win, although I hope for you to participate and now when you tell me your real score I'm more disappointed to you for using one last hour opportunistic method when you know it's not a fair way to bench ... It's not important who found the driver but who used it, I don't blame it on photoshop creators if I trick a screenshot.

If you're happy how this thing work out enjoy your victory it's ok by me, maybe you can now forbid this bs driver on hwbot.

As far as I can see, the playground in the GF4 category is as fair as it was before?

Romania ZM says:

I said it's ok by me if everyone is happy with this glorios victory big success competition, stop using this flawed argumentation, please do not try to say how ethical is to use this driver, if I hold a record and cheating to get more it is fair thing just because nothing changes in the category hierarchy?

zm said: I said it's ok by me if everyone is happy

You're the only participant complaining.

Romania ZM says:

Of course top5 are all using this "no soldier in jetpack" driver why should they complain? You're right Massman, maybe i should do render invisible orcs and flying wigs as it should be in all overclocking competitions - to be happy like everybody else. You are going to use this machine guns in the elevator not entirely ‘neat’ driver?

No, really. The only one.

Norway knopflerbruce says:

It's not entirely neat, but who cares? Kings won.

Lmao, this is about as likely as if you always will be known as "the lame whiner who can't accept that he got beaten in a contest".

But to the point... TURRICAN reported the driver, so it's a bit wrong to bash him about this. Sure he use3d it, but at the time it was not known that it was indeed bugged. As long as no-one says you can't use it, then why shouldn't you when it gives you a better score? It's a fair playground, all participants could've used it if they wanted to - but of course it's a good thing to note that this driver is indeed bugged, and shouldn't be used in the future.

As for the rule problem, you can always give the "proper rendering"-rule priority over the official driver rule, and add a link to a list of drivers that are not allowed for certain cards. Of course we're dependant on testing alot of drivers, but a mad freak like Turrican will always bench everything anyway, right?:p

Austria Turrican says:

ack@bruce :p here's my other result with 2 other rig-pics as well http://www.hwbot.org/community/submission/955541_turrican_3dmark_2003_geforce4_ti_4600_3037_marks

Poland jurek says:

@konpf~ have u read what u just have written, ever heard of ethics or keepin' to the rules? guess not... u re 15 y old kid who never thought that life is more than a unmanned jetpack leading to win

Romania ZM says:

knopflerbruce said: Sure he use3d it, but at the time it was not known that it was indeed bugged.

Even Felix - my burmese cat would be seen this as a problem, not a hardware master which has already hundreds submition of 3dmark03.

You know what is a spirit of overclocking competition, even a obsolete hardware one?
It not means prizes, win at all costs, last minute submition. It means just fun competing, i know that i will not win but i wanted to join and fair compete to the best respected overclockers here, i don't have a reputation to defend, i don't wanted to prove anything in this contest, just to be a guy compete along with the other.

That said I'm proud to be "the lame whiner who can't accept that he got beaten in a contest".

Norway knopflerbruce says:

zm said: Are you kidding? Not known? THERE ARE NO SOLDIERS IN BATTLE OF PROXYCON TEST! No orcs in GT2 Troll's Lair, just flying clubs and wigs. How more bugged had to be?

The card and the driver are very old, to me it would sound weird that a bug like this was caught NOW and not much before this competition. I would probably do the same as Turrican did, bench with this driver AND one you know works like it should, and then report the driver so the whole thing can be investigated.