HWBOT Tales of Taipei #3 - AMD Extreme Overclocking Show Event Report

  • News, Tales of Taipei Blog
  • 15
  • HWBOT

15

Australia Jimba says:

Nice article and some good points.

Taiwan Tim Handley says:

And at the end of the day a fun time was had by all...

Christian Ney says:

For those who want the dancing in HD/HQ:

[youtube]k-lKsfcxZII[/youtube]

:D

Taiwan AndreYang says:

So funny, assman doesn't care what I did ivy 7G or LHe benching WR in public event. I save you, assman. If John got a record, that's interesting you will have PR for him who is banned from you.

Belgium Massman says:

Thanks for the save, Ndreyang!

says:

Help .... don't shoot me.

Taiwan AndreYang says:

Massman said: Thanks for the save, Ndreyang!



You are welcome.^^

Belgium Massman says:

... but why didn't you save me in front of all the media and amongst your competitors in a controlled environment?

Taiwan AndreYang says:

Massman said: ... but why didn't you save me in front of all the media and amongst your competitors in a controlled environment?




Wahahahaha....save you in front of "Taiwan's media".

Belgium Massman says:

Sure, why not :)

Canada Vinster says:

I want 2 of everything please... including those pretty girls...

United States Mr.Scott says:

Just a question from an outsider looking in point of view, Why did Asus not attend? It was not a comp, just a decent PR event. IMO, politics is getting in the way of smart business. Not trying to incite a riot or anything, just answer the question please.

Norway knopflerbruce says:

Looks like a cool event (though I hope any crew doesn't bench in public with any people who are doing a 1y ban for photoshopping... ethics, ethics, ethics! :) ).

Belgium Massman says:

Mr.Scott said: Just a question from an outsider looking in point of view, Why did Asus not attend? It was not a comp, just a decent PR event. IMO, politics is getting in the way of smart business. Not trying to incite a riot or anything, just answer the question please.


Got ahold of some friendly people who could shed some light to the situation. Note: this is not confirmed by ASUS.

Apparently, the issue at hand here is that the ROG department does not have any FM2 motherboard. As you know (or not), ROG is a completely different team within ASUS and the teams that develop the "normal" non-ROG boards are not connected to ROG at all. As far as I'm told, they don't even share resources. Now, AMD's request to show extreme overclocking in the event would be directed at ROG as that's the overclocking dept in ASUS.

Since ROG doesn't have an FM2 motherboard and they don't want to promote or use another department's product, they declined to attend the event.

Imho, that is actually a fair and reasonable explanation for not attending - much more reasonable than the presence of "assman". It kinda sucks that internal politics get in the way of that, but on the other hand I guess those internal politics also drive innovation through inter-departemental competition. But, fair enough, this is quite a logical and good explanation (if true).

Btw, they could have done just like ASRock did and just show up with an AM3+ system, though. But then again, it might have send an incorrect message to the media of the company not being "comfortable" with the normal range of products. But like I said, if that's indeed why they declined, it's actually an understandable situation :).

United States Mr.Scott says:

Massman said: Got ahold of some friendly people who could shed some light to the situation. Note: this is not confirmed by ASUS.

Apparently, the issue at hand here is that the ROG department does not have any FM2 motherboard. As you know (or not), ROG is a completely different team within ASUS and the teams that develop the "normal" non-ROG boards are not connected to ROG at all. As far as I'm told, they don't even share resources. Now, AMD's request to show extreme overclocking in the event would be directed at ROG as that's the overclocking dept in ASUS.

Since ROG doesn't have an FM2 motherboard and they don't want to promote or use another department's product, they declined to attend the event.

Imho, that is actually a fair and reasonable explanation for not attending - much more reasonable than the presence of "assman". It kinda sucks that internal politics get in the way of that, but on the other hand I guess those internal politics also drive innovation through inter-departemental competition. But, fair enough, this is quite a logical and good explanation (if true).

Btw, they could have done just like ASRock did and just show up with an AM3+ system, though. But then again, it might have send an incorrect message to the media of the company not being "comfortable" with the normal range of products. But like I said, if that's indeed why they declined, it's actually an understandable situation :).


Understood, and makes sense now. Thank you. :)
Question wasn't directed at you BTW, more wanted to hear it from AY.;)

Please log in or register to comment.

Leave a Reply: (BBCODE allowed: [B], [QUOTE], [I], [URL], [IMG],...)