Overclocker in Focus: Balazs Lorincz "Achill3us" Interview

• News, Member interviews, Overclocking in Focus

Overclocker in Focus: Balazs Lorincz “Achill3us” Interview

Author: Sdougal

Continuing our in depth series of overclocker interviews, today we bring you the thoughts and musings of one of East Europe’s most recognised players. Allow us to introduce you to Achill3uS, a Hungarian overclocker with plenty of thought provoking ideas to share.

The Interview Transcript

HWBOT: Hi Achill3uS, please introduce introduce yourself.

Achill3uS: I am from Hungary. My name is Balazs Lorincz. My nickname on HWBOT is Achill3uS, or Bora, other guys know this name. I am an IT support analyst in Hungary in an IT outsourcing company and I do hardware and software as well and some networking so I have time to spend with the hardware as well.

HWBOT: When did you start overclocking?

Achill3uS: I started overclocking about ten years ago, but I skipped a couple of years because I was too busy with life and other things. The motivation to start overclocking was very simple, to make your computer faster because new game’s requirements are pretty much always higher than the PC you had at the time. So what to do? What to do? How to make it faster? Let’s overclock it.

At the time overclocking was more important and more fun than actually the games. So I skipped the gaming and focused only on the overclocking part and always wanted better and better cooling solutions; air cooling, water cooling, phase change, dry ice and then liquid nitrogen of course which is the most fun.

Of course live events, to meet the other guys, the other addicted guys of overclocking is the best part of it. In Hungary I can say I was (one of) the first generation of extreme overclockers. So it’s nice to be in a community in your own country and see the guys get the fun part of it and asking for help and questions to you, and in the end you reach really nice results. It’s really good to see that improving.

HWBOT: What has been your greatest achievement?

Achill3uS: The best part, if you’re asking for results, back in time we made a lot of world records with Core 2 Duo CPUs, frequency World Records. I never spent much time with 3D because it’s a lot of time, a lot of money to invest in graphics cards, put LN2, do all the mods, you know… It’s for the Elite guys. In Hungary we made it with more simple resources, much more simple. Focused only on the CPU stuff and the memory stuff of course.

HWBOT: How do you see the overclocking scene today?

Achill3uS: Actually when I entered the overclocking field the main source of information was XtremeSystems(.org). All the guys had been posting all the results from all over the world and everything was shared; the mods, the software tweaks, everything was shared, but when the vendors got into the game and made competitions everyone started to keep secrets because of the money and to get sponsorship was important for everyone and it was a game changer completely. That’s the way I think.

HWBOT: What do you think of Overclocking as an eSport?

Achill3uS: I think it’s because of you guys. Because HWBOT invested a lot of money and effort in doing the competitions, even for the amateurs, the novice guys – the water cooler guys. So they… the motivation for them is bigger than before because they have their own league, where results can win nice prizes. Even if they are gamers they have an interest in it and that is why this community is growing.

I think it’s just because of you have been pushing this very hard. I think it was the same in the past but, it was not fun for these people uploading these scores. Why do this if you compare it with Sub-zero, LN2 results? It’s not fun to see that you are below ten thousand people… no motivation. But you changed it and it’s nice to see. Nice to see.

But I think the community, the extreme guys, the extreme OC community is smaller than it was before and that’s because of these reasons; parts are getting more expensive and people are buying less desktop PCs and it’s affected the community because… I see Hungary as… the way that we do it, many times we buy used hardware because vendors are giving no free hardware, so I have to buy my own. And it’s also a point of view if I do testing then after that if it’s not good for sub-zero results, then I sell it. And if you cannot sell because people are not going to buy it, it’s….

It’s also a point of view that in East Europe we are not rich guys that can buy eight-core CPUs. Actually, to be here, it’s really nice for me, to have the chance to test Intel’s eight-core CPUs because I never had the chance to do that. I cannot afford to buy a 1,500 Euro CPU. So it’s all part of the game, the way I see it.

HWBOT: Your advice to someone just getting started?

Achill3uS: As I said previously, the motivation at HWBOT is pretty strong so people who have just started, or just about to start overclocking could be interested about it because they can win prizes. They can see how they can improve themselves, compare the scores in their own leagues. How to say? Keep pushing it!

HWBOT: What do you think of Taiwan?

Achill3uS: It’s my first time at Computex, first time in Taipei. I love this city. The people are very nice here and the impression is very good. I’ve been already in the Asian region in Thailand, Bangkok… this is a completely different city. It’s much cleaner, and compared to Europe and Western Nations let’s say, it’s much more open minded compared to other countries in the region. So I love it. I wanna come back.

Very nice interview, Balazs! :ws:

Hungary jones965 says:

Thank you for interview Achi! :)

Hungary Achill3uS says:

Thank you for the interview PJ and OC TV crew, and sorry for my bad english :D

Greece TASOS says:

Nice Balazs.
I liked your interview , for a reason.

This is the first time i hear somebody , making a comment about today's overclocking cost.

Too many area's in today's world , with too low income.

Overclocking (and even more the competitive one) must not be limited to people with fat wallets only.

1000+ euro cpu's ???
1000+ euro vga's ???

I hope someone will take this into consideration.

[MENTION=249]TASOS[/MENTION],

Hardware vendors have always asked a premium for the "fastest" product they offer. If you adjust for inflation, the AMD FX-51 from 2004, then $799, would now cost $1007 and the GeForce GTX 8800 Ultra would be $980. So the high prices are nothing new.

What is new though, is the evolution to more computing cores. This is both in CPUs and GPUs. So, back in the day with single or dual core processors or a minimal difference in the amout of ROP/CUDA/Stream processors, the lower end product's performance could be offset by overclocking. This is not the case today anymore. A Core i5 6600K will never beat the Core i7 6700K in multi-threaded benchmarks (assuming similar cooling). The GeForce GTX 970 will not beat the GTX 980 Ti either. At least ... not in benchmarks for overclockers where "the fastest" matters (which does not always reflect real-world experience!).

Did you see Rtsurfer's comment here? On the CPU side of things, I think* we can make competing cheaper by switching to "per thread" categories. That would enable Pentium and Core i5 users to be competitive since they are now blocked by respectively Core i3 (2c4t) and Core i7 (4c8t), more expensive, product categories.

For the GPU side of things I don't know if we can something similar. Does it make sense to compare NVIDIA's cores to AMD's cores?

*think = I need to have a closer look at the implications server- and code-side to be more sure about this.

FlanK3r says:

Greece TASOS says:

Massman said: [MENTION=249]TASOS[/MENTION],

I will try to overcome the language barrier here and make my point.
I hope.

Basically you are messing up two different aspects here.
Overclocking and Benchmarking.

Back in the days ... (i wont tell you the exact date) :)

Overclocking started as an idea of getting a cheap part and gain the performance of the top part. (free performance , minimal cost)

Benchmarking (of today) is about achieving the top numbers at all cost.
So you buy the best (and most expensive hardware) to get top results.

As you can understand , we are not talking about inflation or marketing or premiums here.

Where does a talented overclocker with limited budget , stands today ?
In the charts ?
Where exactly ?

Need to address you a question , to understand your thoughts better.
Let's talk about Europe only (rest of the world , things could be different).

Do you consider the price tag of an 4790k or 6700k to be fair ? withing reach ? affordable ? mainstream category ?

P.S.
Sorry Balasz for making this conversation in your thread.