Expanding the HWBOT community with Elites, Novices and Rookies

• News, Articles

Expanding the HWBOT community with Elites, Novices and Rookies

To those who are very familiar with the HWBOT community this will come to no surprise. We will expand the community with two new types of overclockers: novices and rookies. As an overclocker group they exist next to the Elite, Extreme and Enthusiast overclockers. The Novice and Rookies distinguish themselves mainly based on the time spent overclocking competitively. To accommodate the new overclocker groups we plan to improve the HWBOT League structure.

The Novices and the Rookies.

When we launched XTU back in June last year, we had no idea the amount of new overclockers would be as high as it is. Especially for the new overclockers we organized the Rookie Rumble competition series. The Rookie Rumble is a simple overclocking competition featuring three easy benchmarks: XTU, SuperPI and HWBOT Prime. The goal of the competition is straight-forward: we want to familiarize the new overclockers with the overclocking eco-system.

The Rookie Rumble competitions are very successful. The fourth edition of the Rookie Rumble brought together almost 350 overclockers in competition. That is amazing for a three-week event!

The next step for the Rookies is evidently to start participating in the HWBOT Leagues. But we have noticed that the step from the Rookie Rumble to the Leagues is still quite big for most Rookies. After all, you are dropped in the large pool of experience and established overclockers. For these users we now host a Rookie League. This league works exactly like the Enthusiast League but features only overclockers who have been at the site for less than three months.

The Novices are an entirely new group at HWBOT. This group forms the bridge between the long-term Enthusiasts and the new Rookies. You are tagged Novice if you are on the site less than 1 year (but longer than 3 months).

The Elites.

In addition to the two new overclocker groups we also introduce a new name for the Pro OC overclockers. From now on forward, we refer to the sponsored and engineering sample overclockers as Elite. This is one of the changes to address some of the issues raised with Pro OC overclocking by the extreme overclocking community. Few of the overclockers who are sponsored are in fact professional overclockers as most still do it as a hobby and pay for hardware from their own pocket. The semantic value of the word “professional” is often an underlying cause of Pro OC discussions.

By choosing a different terminology we hope to also make it easier for overclockers to identify themselves as sponsored. There is a large grey area between the Elite and the Extreme overclockers which is mainly caused by the definition of sponsorship. Is one free motherboard enough to be considered sponsored? And what about review samples? The community has not yet reached a consensus on this topic.

Rearranging the leagues: less complexity.

With the addition of two more Overclocking Leagues we have re-think the way we integrate this information on the site. Each of the five overclocker groups have their own dynamic and each of them are a priority to us. We don’t have enough real estate in the sidebar to give room to all five groups. As a solution we group together the Elite and Extreme and Enthusiast, Novice and Rookie in two rankings for the sidebar. On the Overclockers League page you can find all five rankings in one easy ranking.

You can find the mockup on the right (click to enlarge).

On the Overclockers League page you can find three items:

• A table with the current leaders for each of the overclocker groups
  • Buttons to include and exclude groups in the league table
  • The league table

Each of the overclocker groups will have a direct link to their specific league in the navigation menu. So if you want to see the Novice ranking, you can simply browse to http://hwbot.org/league/novice.

This system allows us to resolve two major complains. One, we can now allow non-sponsored extreme overclockers who want to compete in the Pro OC competitions. The hard-earned points they accumulated over the many years will not be lost by changing to the top-class in overclocking. In addition it allows for any other overclocker, even Rookies, to compare themselves with the top overclockers.

The calculation for each of the overclocker groups remains as is. It is the sum of the top-15 global and top-20 hardware scores. For Enthusiasts, Novices and Rookies it is still mandatory to attach a system picture to verify the cooling solution.

Conclusive lines.

We are looking forward to giving the new overclockers an extra space to enjoy this hobby. Also, we look forward to seeing more extreme overclockers join the Pro OC top league and see a more intense battle at the top. The new page is almost ready to be deployed on the test and production server so stay tuned!

Addendum: Here’s a video which explains the new leagues!

Ukraine sergii.ua says:

http://hwbot.org/league/novice - HTTP Status 404

Yes, it's not in production yet. I was just giving an example :p

Ukraine sergii.ua says:

When will be in production? )

Italy RULE says:

We need a serius talk about that point, follow maybe by a voting poll.
There's some pro with minor free hw then some extreme.
The not sponsored at all can compete equal with low, but always, sponsored?
We risk an escape from hwbot by not sponsorized guys, after they see can't be competitive?

For me is some interesting point, maybe we can open a proper topic.

South Africa Vivi says:

RULE said: "Is one free motherboard enough to be considered sponsored? And what about review samples? The community has not yet reached a consensus on this topic."

We need a serius talk about that point, follow maybe by a voting poll.
There's some pro with minor free hw then some extreme.
The not sponsored at all can compete equal with low, but always, sponsored?

For me is some interesting point, maybe we can open a proper topic.

we discussed this topic for 2 years!

i think this new system will open up the field for people to join elite. i believe if you are top 10 in extreme it wont be long before you move to pro to play with your friends in pro-league. So in my opinion there doesn't have to be a rule, i feel a really sponsored guy will move over after he conquered extreme league

Germany der8auer says:

Exactly. In addition it doesn't help to have a rule if we can't enforce it. There is no way to see if e.g. a mainboard was sponsored or not.

Germany Dancop says:

I think it should be on the people...i mean...one motherboard is not the key to success, but if it ends up in getting almost everything or selected, prebinned, things. Then it's on YOU to be smart and change the league. I would feel bad, just being top of a league, due to the biggest advantage you can get. Comparing with the same basics is much more interesting!

Just bumping to let you guys know we've embedded a video explaining how the leagues work exactly. Hope it helps!

United States Splave says:

didnt watch

Ukraine sergii.ua says:

Novice league (0 participants)
Rookie league (0 participants)

Bug or no?

Bulgaria I.nfraR.ed says:

Too pro to watch videos.

Belgium richba5tard says:

sergii.ua said: Novice league (0 participants)
Rookie league (0 participants)

Bug or no?

Engine needs to separate the enthusiasts into enth + novice + rookie. This will occur in a few hours after the migration is done.

Belgium richba5tard says:

It's live!

United States VSG says:

Yikes, live but rankings are all over the place. I imagine some time is needed to get everything in order?

Yeah I see the amount of participants increasing in the Novice and Rookie rankings too. Probably still recalculating :)

United States VSG says:

Is that a euphemism for slacking on the job? :D

I've tried encouraging the engine to speed up the process with chocolate cupcakes but the server just kept staring at me with those cold leds and delta fan silence. It was awkward.

Australia Dinos22 says:

Even the server doesn't like you

United States VSG says:

Delta fan and silence? Now I know something is really off here! Seriously though, great job- I joined here because of XTU being simple to run and 8 Pack who encouraged me to go for the Rookie Rumble #2. Now I love benching!

South Africa Vivi says:

the "xtreme oc" button doesnt give me the ranks! only keeps loading. enthusiasts give me a rank tho. can you move me to Elite please, i dont see any place where i can click the button

Ukraine sergii.ua says:

I have a suggestion. Add Rookie and Novice Leagues in sidebar on homepage.

Colombia saint19 says:

So, how I see the general rank is calculated by the "League points" only right?

United States VSG says:

Ok now my worldwide and league rankings are fine but national and team rankings are still way off from the actual list. Getting there though :)

saint19 said: So, how I see the general rank is calculated by the "League points" only right?

Yup correct.

Hm. The national ranking should also be based on the overall ranking. Are you sure it's not correct?

Croatia E-mil says:

I can also confirm you that something is wrong with national ranking.

Probably, just need to be linked to overall national ranking instead to national league ranking.

Left = overall Right = only Enthusiast League

United States VSG says:

E-mil said: I can also confirm you that something is wrong with national ranking.

Ya, same with Team ranking. The number on the profile is probably overall national/team ranking but the list goes to just the league based national/team ranking.

Yeap, okay, good report :). I'll add it to the backlog!

United States kjjweber says:

OK, no more rookie rumble for Novice League. What is here to be doing?

Ukraine MaJ0r says:

Belgium richba5tard says:

MaJ0r said: Hi there. I'm lazy to read full article that's why I have a question. Where can I see combined ranking, I mean Elite and Extreme are together not separated? Or it doesn't exist? If not I didn't understand the main idea of this action )

Ukraine MaJ0r says:

richba5tard said: http://hwbot.org/league/#leagues=elite,extreme

Thanks. :celebration:
Finally I found it on main page. I had to clock on ranking button instead of using buttons Elite, Extreme, etc, on the upper right side of hwbot.org.
That was my mistake because I've never used ranking button for watching positions in leagues before. Need to be more attentive )

Ukraine sergii.ua says:

kjjweber said: OK, no more rookie rumble for Novice League. What is here to be doing?

Fight for top-1 in Novice League or/and take part in different competitions or/and bench for fun or/and go extreme:)